Thursday, December 11, 2008

SHOULD WE ABANDON OUR MOTHER TONGUE?

"...There is a call to sacrifice one's mother-tongue in order to stay relevant in Malaysian education.I do not know yet, if it is wise for Malaysians to teach Science and Mathematics in English, or in the Bahasa Melayu, Tamil, Mandarin, Iban, Kadazan-dusun, or any of the Dayak languages. I am presenting my perception of what the English language is, from an international political-economic point of view, based on its modern genealogy vis-a-viz Pax Britannica and Pax Americana.
Needless to say, I am a champion of all languages especially English. I have taught the language, use it to express my ideas, an comfortable with it now as my first language. I leave it up to you readers and policy-makers to think what is best for a country in need of progress but at the same time in fear of neo-colonialism...."
Read more as follows;

No comments:

Post a Comment